[bksvol-discuss] Re: big help with word on or off list

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 22:59:24 -0500

Hi Lissi,

Some of these issues you're having are related to the scanning software; and, improvements or changes in your speech software, are bringing them to your attention. You need to remember that the people developing the scanning OCR packages (like FineReader & OmniPage) are not truly doing it for us, it just happens to be an ancillary benefit, that companies like Kurzweil and Freedom Scientific are able to make use of. What the OCR packages are really trying to do is to successfully replicate the scanned document for the records or files of the organizations buying their software. Therefore, when the OCR package sees a blank space, it is essentially saying to itself, oh-ho, I see a blank space, and as I want to make sure that it stays a blank space, I'm going to label it as a non-breaking, or sticky, space. (As a side note, this is the same reason that with some OCR packages you get a line feed at the end of each scanned line.) Now getting back to the non-breaking space, word processing packages such as MS-Word, WordPerfect, WordStar, etc. allow the user to identify some spaces as sticky. Typically you would want to use a sticky space for a phrase you didn't want broken up by the automatic word wrap feature if it crosses a margin for either the screen or a printer boundary. Certain examples might be something like February 22, or New York. Now this is of course fine and dandy when used prudiciously, but the OCR software may not be prudicious, it identifies a space and wants to maintain that space, so it labels it as a sticky space. Now this isn't truly a big deal, but just for your own information, every time you see a non-breaking space in your file, it actually takes up the space of 2 characters, because when an Rtf document notes a sticky space, it does so in the file by entering \~. All of what I've just said regarding the sticky space pretty much goes for the hyphen as well. Now as for the super, or sub, script, again it can often just be a mistaken identification issue with the OCR software. For whatever reason, when the OCR package is analyzing the image file, it perceives the line of text as being either higher, or lower, then it ought to be, so consequently it decides it is either super scripted, or subscripted, text. Again, I don't really think this is a big deal at this point, as I don't believe the Brf, or Daisy, files will note the difference, but perhaps someone else here can either confirm or deny this. The only thing that comes immediately to mind for the leading spaces is try a tab character instead. The mode you're stuck in is over type, as opposed to insert mode, just hit the insert key to toggle it back and forth.

Dave

At 08:58 PM 2/24/2008, you wrote:
Dear Booksharian Friends,

After validating over 250 books reading word by word over the past 2 and a half years, I'm still befuddled by my computer and need serious help with new problems that are cropping up for no reason I can understand.

I'd be so grateful if anyone can help me on or off list! These problems are making me even slower than I already am because I read each book through and provide carefully written and proofed synopses.

Most of these difficulties started after I loaded JAWS 9.0 which has made many improvements.

I'm also using word 2003 and maybe the books that are difficult for me have been edited in word 2007. I have written to for of the people whose scans I've worked on lately to ask if they use word 2007. One of then has already answered to say she isn't using Word 2007.

Here are some examples of the problems I'm having .

1. Most of the time I make individual corrections by backspacing to delete and writing in the correction. When I backspace, for the past month or so, I'm hearing jaws 9 say nonbreaking space or hyphen. These nonbreaking things take up the space of a character. When I delete them with the backspace and space again or put in my own hyphen, jaws says the normal space or hyphen. No more nonbreaking. How are nonbreaking spaces etc different from characters that just say their name like space?

2. In one part of book I'm validating now, when I try to insert 3 spaces at the beginning of paragraphs, a useless gesture I know because Bookshare eliminates them, but I can't help myself if they are indented in the print copy, a blank line is inserted, but I'm unable to place spaces before the first word of the paragraph.

3. As I proofread, I often hear jaws say end subscript or superscript. I've tried highlighting the document and making sure sub and super script are unchecked, but they remain. The print in these sub and superscript words doesn't look any different from the print before and after it as far as I can tell. Sometimes I can make the super and sub scripts disappear by backspacing over them and writing in the text again, but this doesn't always work. This is happening with scans I've received from submittors and scans I've done myself. In the scan I've done, I hear them as I proofread. I think the BRF ignores super and sub scripts even when we need them to indicate notes, etc, but I don't know what happens to them in daisy files.

4. I'm back to having that character replacing problem I had before and have forgotten how to correct it. I'm in some kind of character replace setting where the letter I type over disappears. For example, if I write step instead of stop and put my cursor over p and backspace to erase e and then type in o, I get sto because the p has disappeared. If I place the cursor on the space after sto and type in the p, I get stop, but the space has gone.

I'll appreciate any help I can get with these frustrating computer misbehaviors. Or, I admit, they could be my own misbehaviors because I still don't know enough about how my programs work.

airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Always with love

Lissi