[bksvol-discuss] Re: backlog created by validaters

  • From: Tony Baechler <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 00:24:58 -0800

Hi. First, I do have an active membership. I am blind. I will be honest. I do the validations because I want to read the books, but also mostly for the credit. Even though 50 cents per book isn't much, if I do 100, I get a free renewal. My goal for the year is to do 100. I don't know how many I've already done, but even with the 15 currently on my step 2 page I don't think I'm there yet. I will do as much as I can to reach my goal of 100.

Second, I still disagree. I do see your point about if a book sits on a step 2 page for months, it should stay on the step 1 page instead. I don't completely agree with it since there can be other issues involved that you do not know about, such as page breaks needing to be repaired, but I can see your point and will drop it.

I still very much disagree with your statement that popular books disappearing within 24 hours is good because they get pushed through the system faster. Jake just said that he has 19 waiting in the admin approval. I am still waiting on the Christmas book which I purposely hurried through so it would be approved before Christmas. I have seen other books take three to six months sitting in the admin approval pool before they go live. I'm sorry, but the facts speak for themselves on this. It does little good to rush through a book hoping it will get approved faster for others to read. The fact is that unless you want to wait an eternity, you're better to grab it yourself from the step 1 page. I am not saying that this is the admin's fault. They probably have a huge backlog too, and the holidays and database crash probably disrupted them. All I am saying is that you're incorrect if you think that just because people grab books quicker and hurry up to get them pushed through means that others will be able to read them in a reasonable time period. I do make a reasonable effort to move my books along and get them off the step 2 page, but I still have quite a few that I've approved that haven't showed up yet.

Just for the fun of it, maybe I will post a note to the list when I validate a book. I would like someone else, in addition to me, to watch the new books page and see when it shows up. I'm curious just how bad the admin backlog is. I bet it will be a matter of weeks or months. There are exceptions certainly. One Agatha Christie book made it through surprisingly quickly, only a few days. I know of at least two Hardy Boys books that have been waiting at least 10-14 days. Someone submitted a Mrs. Pollifax book. That has been waiting at least a week. From this validator's standpoint, that is the bottleneck, not how many books I have or how long it takes me. There is no point in rushing a book off step 2 if it takes a month, I might as well take the month myself to read it and clean it up. Hopefully the admin backlog will straighten itself out and things will start flowing smoother again.

My apologies to bookshare admins. I am not upset with you. I think you've been under stress lately with the various things going on and the overall amount of work you've had. I don't mean anything negative against you personally. Thanks for doing a great job and getting so many books pushed through.

At 11:25 AM 1/23/2005 -0500, you wrote:

My general point is that this practice slows down the process for those
books, not for those submitters per sey.

Those books should be available for anyone to validate and if a popular book
is gone within 24 hours thats great, that means it should be getting on the
system faster.  But if validaters without active bookshare memberships are
using validation as a tool to read books then there is an issue here.

And again, how many weeks if not months will it take for you to go through
15 books?

I realize people sometimes grab books that have been sitting on step1 for
months.  But if they are going to sit on your step 2 for months then they
might as well have stayed where they were.

my bottomline statement applies here, I just feel that some people might be bighting off more then they can chew and it slows down the process for those particular books and that is what bookshare is about, to make high-quality texts available to everyone not just whoever grabs it first.