[bksvol-discuss] Re: awesome book two down.

  • From: Mayrie ReNae <mrenae@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 14:13:42 -0800

Hi Siobhan,

Okay, I don't know how specific you want instructions to be. If I give you too much information, you can strangle me at any point.

I find that the easiest way to deal with books from Bookshare is to download and open them from within Kurzweil 1000. So, I'll tell you how I do that.

Open K1000. Press the alt key to open the menus. Right arrow until you get to the online menu. Down arrow until you get to where it says "search for books. Hit enter there. That opens a dialogue. The first option is to search by title. Tab to where it wants you to type the title and type it there. Keep tabbing until you see the list of available libraries. You can down arrow through those and uncheck everything except bookshare by pressing the spacebar on each library, if you know already that bookshare has the book that you want. From there, keep tabbing until you find the "ok" button and hit enter there. K1000 will then ask you to enter your Bookshare password, just type it, then tab, and you will be asked to fill in your Bookshare password. Type it, then tab to the "ok" button and hit enter on it. You should then be given a list of books with titles containing the words that you specified. Check the ones that you want to download by using the spacebar. Tab to the ok button and hit enter on it. You will then be asked to specify which format you want to download, choose daisy by highlighting it. Tab to the ok button and hit enter on it. You will be notified when the download is complete. At this point, I go to the file menu and hit enter on "open." You will be asked if you want to open the file or files that you last downloaded. Hit enter on "Yes." You will be asked again to enter your Bookshare password. Type it, tab to the "ok" button, and hit enter. K1000 will then begin opening the file. Don't worry if this takes a few minutes. Some times it does. When the file has been successfully opened, K1000 will begin reading the book, starting with all of Bookshare's notices of copyright exemption and on to the content of the book itself.

If I have been unclear or inaccurate, please write again, and I'll try to fix whatever mistakes I might have made.

If all goes well, happy reading!

Peace,
Mayrie

At 01:40 PM 12/5/2007, you wrote:
How do I do that, then. I used the unpack utility from bookshare, and ended up deleting the files when I couldn't get anything the way I wanted. This week's just been a bit difficult for me. I appreciate all your help. Thanks.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mrenae@xxxxxxxxxxx>