[bksvol-discuss] Re: attn Jamie

  • From: Jamie Yates <jamieyates@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 09:01:40 -0700 (PDT)

Right now she doesn't use web braille. I spent a lot
of time on the phone with the Cleveland library for
her because she could not call them without her
braille tty set up (she does have an excellent family
support system but they have had other more pressing
concerns to take care of for her is the only reason I
called). When she does use web braille eventually, if
it is complicated (I have heard with a note taker that
web braille is complicated and that Bookshare is easy)
to download books, someone will download it for her
(she lives with her parents) and put it on a flash
card or email it to her (she primarily communicates
with her dad in the same house through email).

Her dad has a computer although her notetaker either
does not or cannot hook up to a computer. I am not
sure on that. I know there are some like a Braille
Sense that can hook to a computer but hers is not one
as far as I know. She just reads and writes completely
on the notetaker. She does not like to navigate the
internet because so many sites are not easily
navigable with a notetaker. So like for the catalog
from Seedlings.org, I downloaded their catalog and
just emailed it to her as an attachment.

She gets a lot of help from her parents, her brothers
and her friends. Does that answer what you were
asking? I'm not quite sure.

Jamie in Michigan
Currently reading: Ceremony in Death - J.D. Robb