[bksvol-discuss] Re: asterisks in nonfiction? WAS: asterisks white space? and italics

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 15:12:33 -0400

Dear Charisma and Booksharian Friends,

Yep, Editors place blank lines between blocks of text in nonfiction, too. We don't have to know their reasons. We just do our job and indicate there was a blank line with our asterisks. Sometimes a blank line appears in fiction or nonfiction with no asterisks. Sighted readers see it and know a change is at hand. If we left the line blank, the Bookshare tools would eliminate it making subjects and separations run together and depriving Bookshare readers of the sign post. When we insert asterisk space asterisk space asterisk, Audio, print and braille readers get the message so no reader is disadvantaged by not knowing a line was skipped.

These little tricks become habits. You'll be designating blank lines automatically in no time!

Always with love,

Lissi
----- Original Message ----- From: "Charisma" <wishfulfish@xxxxxxxxx>