[bksvol-discuss] Re: asterisks for sidebars does not work in audio

  • From: Mike <mlsestak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 21:41:59 -0700

Yes, the problem of unwinding sidebars, footnotes and so on for nonfiction can be a bear. In some cases I feel like I'm adding so many asterisks the reader will jump up shouting "No more stars!"

When I scan or proof, I try to move sidebars so they are in a place on the page where they will be as little jarring an interruption as possible. But that takes time to do so I've been more thorough with some books than others.

I did a middleschool science text that had so many different types of boxes as well as the regular text on many pages that it was like putting together a jigsaw puzzle. But I was proofing that book and had a printed copy of the book so I could get some sense of what might have been intended for the order a sighted student would read the stuff. Also the book was so well scanned, capturing the text in almost every box that I felt I had to do my best as well. And thankfully it was only about a hundred pages long.

Misha

On 6/1/2011 3:20 PM, Charisma wrote:
Valerie wrote:

Only time I have used them (asterisks) in non-fiction is to separate sidebars or
insets,>  but not often if ever in straight text passages of non-fiction.
Thanks for the reply. smile

Is this a standard approach to sidebars? Because it does not set them
apart in the audio book I have been reading. All of the sudden the
text--while related--interrupts the current sentence and then reverts
back to the sentence when the sidebar or insert is over.

Is there a way to make sidebars and inserts stand out in audio that
would not be wrong for Braille?

You know, as confusing as this can be, it is sort of like a puzzle we
are winkling out, figuring what works for both types of readers! Like
solving a mystery or something!

Charisma