[bksvol-discuss] asking for help and scanning errors

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 20:20:02 -0800 (PST)

Hi, Tony,

Any time you'd like me to check a book for scanning
errors that you can't figure out, please don't be
afraid to ask. I love to help in this area, and I feel
it's one in which I can be of most use. Also, I've
found, by getting books from the library and helping
people in this way, that I've come across authors
whose books I'd never have read otherwise, and found
books that I've enjoyed, e.g., WEB Griffin -- at least
one of his series.

As for the similarity between lower case r and t --
I'm assuming that you are blind and cannot actually
see the difference between the two letters, but when
they're lower case and in certain fonts, they are not
dissimilar, and some scanners like mine do exchange
them, depending on what shape the book is in, i.e. how
old it is, whether the page is a little yellowed or
faded, and what the next letter is. I find that r n is
often confused with m in words, and the letter m is
used instead of i n. I can't think of specific
instances in which I remember r and t being used
instead of each other, but looking at the letters as I
am now, I can see how the scanner might possibly make
that mistake, depending on the book. (smile)

Cindy

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!