[bksvol-discuss] answering where did I come from

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 22:45:00 -0400

Dear booksharian parents,

If you have children of an age when "that certain talk," is at hand, the book,
"Where Did I Come From," which was approved last week, may help you keep your
tone relaxed and casual while providing you with a guide to keep the hows and
whys in order and explain them in a positive way that will be easy for your
child to understand.

I'm telling you about this book because I rated it adult. If you don't browse
the adult books, you might miss this book entirely. The content is meant to be
read to or by children and is in good taste.

From Jamie's dependable scan and marvelous description of the illustrations,
I've uploaded my first adult rated validation and released some birds and bees
to Bookshare.

This book emphasizes that the loving actions of parents, are to produce the
wonderful child who is reading the book. It identifies body parts like the p
and the v. It even compares o to a big sneeze after your nose has itched for a
while. It tells of the sperm's journey from the father's body to the mother's
womb.With illustrations, the infant's development is shown, and clearly
described by Jamie each month from conception to birth. Children learn why
birth is called labor, hard work with a joyous result.

As a teacher who annually led this discussion with fifth graders for 25 years,
I found this book to be factual but casual. I think it won't offend parents or
frighten children.

It can be particularly helpful to blind parents of both blind and seeing
children because the text and Jamie's descriptions are detailed without being
dull, long winded or confusing. It fully equips a blind parent leaving no gaps
where communication is dependent on illustrations.

This book has an adult rating so that children won't happen upon it without
their parent's support and guidance. An older child could read it, but if I
were advising parents I'd suggest that they read this book to or with their
child. The time to have this discussion and use this book is when a child
becomes noticeably curious about where babies come from. Typically once young
childrens' curiosity about reproduction is satisfied, they lose interest in
adult matters and concentrate on their usual, age appropriate enthusiasms and
entertainments.

I'm happy to have helped add, Where Did I Come From, to Bookshare's collection.
Most members don't track these lists so I hope you'll pass this notice about a
potentially valuable resource, on  to blind parents, parents of blind children
or parent organizations.

Always with love,

Lissi