[bksvol-discuss] another girl detectiveRE: Re: curious

  • From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 02:33:21 -0700

    When I was ten or eleven I went to a summer camp and one of the camp
counselors read her charges (I was one of them) a book featuring a girl
detective named Tracy Kay. Again, I can't remember the name of the author or
the name of the book, but the character's name stuck in my mind. It was also
the first place where I heard of a Chevrolet coupe. I have no idea where one
would come on to this book or if there was a series about this character,
but again I'm thinking this would be an interesting find for the Bookshare
collection should somebody discover the name of the author/authors of the
Tracy Kay series (if there is a series).  I can guarantee you that the NLS
program doesn't have the series. One of the things that delights me about
Bookshare is discovering authors I'd never even heard of before and books in
my favorite categories I didn't know existed. If Bookshare's goal is to make
sure we as blind, dyslexic, or other folks who have difficulty reading
regular printed books have the same amount of bewildering choices as the
rest of the reading population, then we'd be happy to deal withh the same
quandary of which book out of all the varied choices in the mystery category
we'd like to read. Isn't that a goal to strive for? Being able to get our
hands on the same number of books as everyone else? Now if only there was a
way for Bookshare to talk to folks who produce dramas to allow their stuff
into the Bookshare collection. They could say: "Just because someone has a
reading disability, I.e., can't read print or hold a print book, doesn't
mean they wouldn't want the chance to act in plays or read them."  Okay, I'm
done with the rant or flight of fancy, whichever you wish to call it. I'm
excited about the potentiality of what Bookshare could do if free to do so.
I'm excited about the future possibilities of there being no book, pamphlet,
or play being kept from our brains. Regards, Kim.

  _____

From: Valerie Maples <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Monday, August 17, 2009, 5:10 PM

I have only vague memories at Sue Barton, and a quick Internet search looks
like they are more of a collector's item than readily available,
unfortunately. I will keep an eBay search going to see if I can get a deal
on some accidentally, but for example, the set of seven on Amazon cost
almost $90. However, if someone wants to fund them or purchase them, I will
be glad to work on them. Especially if we get the price more reasonable,
then I could consider buying them. I only buy bargains. Smiles. It appears
that the author's name is Helen Dore Boylston, if that helps any. Google and
eBay are always my friends.

Take care!

Valerie

Please pray for Doug's Dad & visit his website:

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/billkoonce