[bksvol-discuss] Re: all those darn dashes re revisited

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 13:47:00 -0500

Hi all,

Sue, you ask good questions. I think the kind of dashes that are in this particular exerpt are those m-dashes, the double-dashes that indicate pauses in sentences. You can get some screen readers to stop saying the single dash, but I'm not sure about the double-dash, as this is a more unusual punctuation mark. You could set your speech program for no punctuation, which might take care of it, yes. Most folks have their screen readers set to "some punctuation" so that they can hear math signs and unusual marks that affect the text. This is a real buggaboo.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring