[bksvol-discuss] Re: about braille

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 08:07:58 -0500

Elizabeth,  taking notes with a slate and a stylus is very convenient, and
as efective as taking notes with pencil and paper.

In those situations where electronic notes are taken by sighted and
sighted professionals,  Braille grade 2 users may be at a slight speed
advantage oer any user of uncontracted notes.

If an employer disallows the recording of a meeting by a blind employee
who has no access to either Braille or electronic notetaking,  the
employer may be in potential violation of the ADA,  as they are refusing
reasonable accommodation.

Guido

Guido D. Corona
IBM Accessibility Center,  Austin Tx.
IBM Research,
Phone:  (512) 838-9735
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx

Visit my weekly Accessibility WebLog at:
http://www-3.ibm.com/able/weblog/corona_weblog.html

"E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
05/20/2004 03:42 AM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss

bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Re: about braille

How they get through college is one thing.  Perhaps audio is enough.  But
for the work world, if at all possible, please learn braille if you cannot

see enough to read print.  Learning braille or being able to write print
allows a person to take notes.  Otherwise, you will need to use a computer

I suppose to take notes in a meeting.  I can hear folks ask about taping
meeting.  My experience is though it is technically possible to tape a
meeting, socially it often presents issues for folks in a meeting in a
corporation who may not want a taped copy of a meeting to exist.

E.