[bksvol-discuss] Re: about braille

  • From: "Donna Smith" <donnafsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 15:06:43 -0400

At the risk of exciting Alloysius, who I thought was languishing in the spas
of Appenzelle, I don't think most of us are promoting an either/or solution.
One of the basic tenets of training adults, is that adults tend to learn in
three ways--visually, auditory, and experientially--and that they tend to
have a preferred method of learning, though that's not to say that they
can't learn something from all three methods.  For our discussion, learning
visually needs to be limited to learning from the written word, though in a
broader sense it certainly includes learning via images as well.  I
personally learn quite well, though differently, from all three methods.  My
experience as a trainer has taught me that most people learn from all three
methods to some extent, though occasionally some adults show a strong
tendency toward one method and against another.  However, once the
information is processed, the method used to gain it is pretty irrelevant.

The argument that I'm making, and I think others are saying something
similar, is that there is no rational reason for withholding instruction in
how to learn via the written word from students who can't use print.  If
there are other factors that make learning braille impossible or of minimal
use, then certainly the emphasis should be placed on one of the other
methods of learning, but to arbitrarily determine that braille is of no use
because so much information is available via auditory input, is
unnecessarily restrictive at best and potentially damaging to those who
really learn best via direct reading of the written word.  I currently learn
most of the information I need both professionally and personally via
auditory input, but if I did not have the option to occasionally supplement
this learning by reading information in braille, there is no doubt but that
I'd be missing some things.  On the other hand, if I was unable to use
braille, I'd probably work harder at honing my ability to miss less via
listening.  My point being, why remove any possible method of learning?  I
actually think that sighted children are done a disservice by not being
encouraged to learn more via listening.  I also think we're going to see
this change eventually with the increased interest in audible books.

So I agree that one's intelligence and employability is not necessarily
diminished because of the absence of braille skills, but I think that using
braille can enhance learning for most who can use it, and that it is crucial
for some who have other factors that limit their ability to learn via
listening.

And, Alloysius, you're kind of cute when you get excited.  <grin>

Peace and Hope,

Donna