[bksvol-discuss] Re: a sort of raise for validators

  • From: Monica Willyard <plumlipstick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 22:16:49 -0400

I hate to admit this, but I do validation for the credits. I would scan exclusively otherwise because I don't enjoy proofreading very much. I think I'd still help out often, but I can't say I'd do it with as much focus. If you think less of me, that's ok. I'm just being real. I admire people like Cindy and hope I'll become more like her. At heart, I know myself well though and have to face my own reality before I can change it. If the credit system wasn't in place, and I'd be paying for my membership either way, I would probably help out once a month or so, not each week. I wouldn't consider validating though. I'd just scan and submit. And if things got tough, like they did with the admin queue last April, I'd quit doing even that. So to me, the credit system is a major source of motivation. I do think that making validation credits a dollar would encourage people like me to do more of that activity. After all, we need validation before books can be submitted.

Monica Willyard

On Monday 9/25/2006 06:17 PM, Lora wrote:
I disagree with this sentiment.  I'm earning fifty cents a validation.
Adding another $2.50 is not going to affect my performance on a validation,
positively or negatively.  I don't do it for the money, but for the chance
to contribute to Bookshare.  In fact, if I could donate my credits next
year, I would.