[bksvol-discuss] Re: Your Suggestions for Books to Add to the Collection

I've got one of the older ones, but there's no way I could proofread or get anyone local to proofread. I could come up with the scans in grayscale and upload to Sendspace if someone would proofread. This is a long cookbook if memory serves.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 5:00 PM
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Your Suggestions for Books to Add to the Collection

Hi Scott. I get a couple of questions a month from nonmembers asking
about cookbooks on Bookshare, in particular the Better Homes and
Gardens series of cookbooks. These are generally not available in
accessible format anywhere, not even with NLS. I always have to say
no, we don't have them, and I have to turn down requests to scan them
because proofreading them without sight is so tough and
time-consuming. I think if I agreed to add the books to Bookshare,
some of these people might join.

Better Homes and Gardens puts out fairly short cookbooks ranging in
subject matter like cooking with poultry, casual entertaining,  and
holiday desserts. The books are around 150 pages. I get the most
requests for information about the holiday and dessert cookbooks.

Bookshare has a lot of healthy eating and special diet type cookbooks.
We don't have as many mainstream cookbooks that don't focus on healthy
foods or special diets. I think the addition of the Better Homes and
Gardens books could serve as a membership entry point for disabled
cooks.

--
Monica Willyard
Visit my GoodReads book shelf at http://www.goodreads.com/plumlipstick