[bksvol-discuss] Re: Your Suggestions for Books to Add to the Collection

  • From: Mike <mlsestak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 07:13:25 -0800

Wow, thanks so much for this message. I've done a few science textbooks. However, it takes quite a while because I reduced all math the simplest possible form so it would make sense in both braille and voice. I've also described the most important features of charts and graphs, especially if they weren't completely written about in the text. And of course, this takes a print copy of the book (fortunately I've received some of these from paperbackswap.com so they didn't cost anything. I guess many homeschoolers use paperbackswap so there are more textbooks there than I expected). Having a more formal technique (and probably more people it there is money available) would be wonderful.

Misha

On 10/28/2010 12:24 PM, Scott Rains wrote:
Bob,

Great suggestion so here's a glimpse into how we are addressing that.

Math formulas are particularly difficult to work with. They scan as images and
cannot be OCR'd further. They must be translated into either language or
MathML. Neither process can be automated.

You may have seen me refer to working with a subgroup of Bookshare volunteers
on image description. You may also have heard that we just opened a 5 year $5
million-funded project on image description called DIAGRAM.

Over the long term DIAGRAM will address these problems. Even in the short term
any translation of formulas that we do must be hand edited into the text
one-by-one.

To give you a sense of what all this means: Earlier this week we had a report
on the progress made by a math professor I recently recruited as a volunteer.
He has completed one page in the textbook he is working one. It took him one
week.

You have a great suggestion and we are committing a great deal of resource to
solving the technical hurdles involved in representing math. So far it is safe
to say that you are not likely to see to many math books available -- but my
guess is that you will find them first at Bookshare!

Scott Rains
Benetech Fellow, Bookshare Volunteer Department