[bksvol-discuss] Re: Yeah definitely formatting help needed

  • From: Mike <mlsestak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 23:14:51 -0700

Kim, Ellen,

Just by coincidence, I checked out a book with Heading Level 1 applied to the chapter titles rather than font size 16 and bold. So, I tried my own instructions, but they didn't work. Heading Level 1 is a built in style so it can't be removed this way. I finally had to select each chapter title, convert it to default style and then apply the font size and bold.

It took me a while to figure out how to do this from the keyboard. It's pretty simple (at least for Word 2002, I'll have to wait till I go to work tomorrow to check if it works in Word 2007 or 2010.
Select the chapter heading
Type ctrl+shift+s (that's all three keys crtl, shift and s at the same time)
That puts you in a box with the name of the current style, so hopefully a screen reader will then say "heading 1" Type Normal (that starts with a capital N or word thinks you are creating a new style called normal beginning with a small n)
Hit return.
That should change the Heading 1 style to the default style and you can now change the font size and bold it.

For the point and click version
Select the chapter heading
Click the little down arrow in the style box at the left end of the format toolbar
This drops down a menu with the list of available styles
If you deleted the extra styles there should only be a few and either clear formatting of Normal should be at the top of the list
Or just type Normal and hit return as in the keyboard version

Of course, if the file really is in columns, it is much better to have the person who did the scanning fix the OCR settings so the columns are not created in the first place.

Misha

On 6/6/2011 9:27 AM, Melissa Smith wrote:
One thing you can do is Kim releases the book, you check it out and fix the trouble Kim is having, the check it in with a comment telling Carrie to return it to the check out list for Kim to finish proofing. I've done this for some who had a very strange book problem that I was able to fix, but the original proofer didn't have the tools to fix. Also, Kim, when you say that you hear heading level 1, it sounds like your file has MS Word styles applied to it. Misha posted about removing these, and I have copied below his message on fixing these.

Removing Extraneous Styles

Select the tools menu (alt-t)

Go down (arrow down) to Templates and add-ins (yeah really intuitive, no wonder no

one found it before)

Select or hit enter, this opens a dialog box which can pretty much be ignored

Select the organize button (alt-o)

This opens another dialog box (more fun all the time)

This dialog has several tabs, but the one it opens to by default (Styles, hey that

sounds useful) is the one we want

This dialog has two list boxex one on the left, one on the left and one on the right,

and other text boxes and buttons. Right now we are only interested on the list box

on the left, it is a list of all the styles in the current document.

Select the first item in the list box on the left (tab and then arrow down once)

Now select all the items in the list box (shift-end is the easiest for everyone to

do this step)

Now select the delete button (alt-d)

You will now get a dialog that starts Do you want to delete (and then gives the name

of the first style)

Select the Yes to All button (tab, then enter or alt-a)

Now you will get several dialogs that say cannot delete default style normal or whatever.

Just hit enter for ok to all of them.

When all those dialogs are gone, so are all those extraneous styles.

The open and save as in wordpad is much simpler.However, it works by wordpad just

eliminating anything it doesn't know how to process.It is not guaranteed to remove

ALL styles.This really and truly does the trick and leaves all the things that

bookshare wants (page breaks, increased fonts for chapter headings, italics, bold,

underline, tables (though I am not sure about the formatting inside tables, I haven't

checked that yet) intact.

Melissa Smith

On 6/6/2011 10:46 AM, Mayrie ReNae wrote:
Hi Nadia,
We are not permitted to share entire files, as that violates agreements that we and Bookshare have made regarding protecting copyright. When you became a volunteer, I think that you signed an agreement not to share files like this. We are only permitted to share small parts of files to get assistance. I don't know if I am remembering correctly, but I think it's no more than 1/10 of a book to be shared between volunteers when requesting assistance,. The volunteer manual talks about this. I just don't want anyone to get into hot water because they wanted to help but forgot about the prohibitions set on sharing complete files.
Mayrie