[bksvol-discuss] Re: Writer's Practice Group Meeting Announcement

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 16:55:29 -0500

Cindy, I think this book is perfect for a would-be writer because it starts with laying a strong foundation but then takes off to more advanced topics, helping writers strengthen their skills through practice. Many people can write well, but they never actually succeed with their work because they don't sit down and learn to use their tools and skills effectively. As a result, they don't know how to work through advanced plotting issues and struggle when they hit writer's block.

This is the book we use in the writers' club, and it has helped me in a big way with my freelance writing business. We've been meeting and using this book for about 3 months now, and I can see steady improvement in the quality of my own work. I've been writing for the business market for several years now and have had several articles published in magazines. I still find a lot of practical help in the book. Mayrie is a great teacher, and that helps too.

Monica Willyard

Grandma Cindy wrote:
There is a book I validated that had a section on
that, as well as other things like setting aside time.
Perhaps some of you have already read it, and/or
perhaps it's too elementary or basic and you're beyond
that. Originally I was thinking of buying it for my
would-be-writer daughter, but I decided against it.