[bksvol-discuss] Re: WorldCat World Wide Library Holdings

  • From: "Jake Brownell" <jabrown@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 03:02:52 -0500

Hi Cindy,
    Yes, the services seem to be quite restrictive. I'm surprised that if
UCLA is your ISP that it doesn't automatically allow you on. Perhaps UCLA
restricts the service to librarians or something.

    Obviously my University allows anyone affiliated with it to use the
service. If we're off campus we just have to login (through the proxy-a
server that will pass along the requests just as if I was on campus).

    ISU isn't my ISP, but I can access anything on campus through the VPN
(virtual private network) which emulates me being on campus...I'm connected
nearly 24 hours a day to get my mail...wonder what the people running that
think? Probably want me to get a life....

Like I said before, the Illinois search does I know do some of WorldCat, I
just don't know how much and anyone can use it.

Good luck,
Jake