[bksvol-discuss] Re: Wishlist Request

  • From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 00:33:40 EDT

Well, if a book is inappropriate for a ten-year-old then that ten-year-old
will undoubtedly get bored with it or fail to understand it and will stop
reading it. If the ten-year-old is interested in it and finishes it then it
must be appropriate. Obviously that which is inappropriate for some
ten-year-olds is appropriate for other ten-year-olds just like books that are
appropriate for some forty-year-olds and which those forty-year-olds will
devour
will be completely inappropriate for other forty-year-olds who will be
completely bored by the content. The point is that the only person who can
decide
the appropriateness of a book is the person who chooses to read it or not read
it. What gets under my skin is when someone decides for another person what
is appropriate or inappropriate. Let the ten-year-olds, the
sixteen-year-olds and the eighty-year-olds and every other age range decide for
themselves.

"The end may justify the means as long as there is something that justifies
the end.
" Leon Trotsky

http://www.pathfinderpress.com
                 _

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Wishlist Request
Date:
9/2/2009 12:19:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time
From:
soronel.haetir@xxxxxxxxx
To:
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

Of course I see other issues with such a designation, especially with
how it is set up as a one-size on-off.  There are lots of books that
are entirely inappropriate for a 10 year old, far far fewer for a 16
or 17 year old.  I'm not sure there is anything purely text that would
produce the reaction in me that the proofing guide uses when talking
about such a teen.

On 9/1/09, Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx <Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
> funny story. I said that the censor types insist on imposing their own
> tastes on
> everyone else. Actually, now that I think about it, it may not even be
> their own tastes. There was a guy I once knew who was an official at my
> city's
> most prominent Presbyterian church. He wasn't a minister and I don't know
> exactly what he was, but he had his own private office in the church and
he
> absolutely never appeared in public wearing anything but a gray suit and
> neck
> tie. He was the pillar of the community type. Now, obviously, this is not
> the kind of person I would hang out with. I only knew him barely and that
> was
> only because I knew his daughter a lot better. She was a much more
regular
> kind of person. She could party for one thing. Her father's idea of
partying
> was probably a stiff formal dinner with the city fathers. Well, the time
> came when I got a job as a sales clerk in a porn shop and suddenly he had
> pair of automobile floor mats that he wanted to give me. Not only that,
but
> he
> wanted to deliver them to me at my place of employment. I assure you, he
> could have given them to me elsewhere quite easily or even transmitted
them
> me through his daughter. When he came into the shop it was all I could do
> to keep from bursting out laughing. He was trying his best to look
> nonchalant
> and appear to ignore the wares on display, but I could see his eyes
darting
> around and he was nearly salivating. The mats were obviously an excuse to
> check out the interior of a porn shop. I even felt a little sorry for
him. I
> am sure that he really wanted to open up some of the magazines or watch
some
> of the videos, but the mats did not provide an excuse for that and he
> couldn't come up with an excuse. In retrospect I wonder what he would
have
> said
> if I had offered to show him some of those things. Now the issue never
came
> up, but I knew him and his type well enough that I am sure that if, for
> example, someone had proposed a city ordinance to shut the store down for
> "indecency" that he would most likely have been all for such an
ordinance.
> So, yes,
> censorship is the practice of imposing one's own tastes on everyone else,
> but it is also the practice of imposing the tastes that one wants
everyone
> think one has on everyone else.
>

> "The end may justify the means as long as there is something that

Press:

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@xxxxxxxxx