[bksvol-discuss] Re: Wish List Request - Soldier's Heart by Elizabeth Samet

  • From: Mayrie ReNae <mrenae@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 13:08:14 -0800

Hi Judy!

I have heard this author mentioned in many books about creative writing. It sounds great to me! I have requested it from my library, and will scan it whenever it arrives. I am the fifth of five holds on the one copy in my library system, so it could be a while. Is that okay?

Peace,
Mayrie

At 11:31 AM 12/18/2007, you wrote:
If anyone can scan this book, I'll validate it.

Soldier's Heart: Reading Literature Through Peace and War at West Point, by Elizabeth Samet.

Non-fiction.  The Wall Street Journal just ran a very positive review on it.

Here's a short synopsis.

Elizabeth Samnet is a civilian who teaches English at the U.S. Army military academy at West Point. In this book, she relates to the reader the flavor of what it's like to teach a subject few would think is relevant to future army officers: poetry, and literature. She talks about her students, her military colleagues who teach alongside her, and about how the students that keep in touch with her develop and change as they advance in their military careers. One of the reviewers at Amazon describes the book as "a mini-memoir and mini-autobiography. Most of all it is a long reflection on the relationship between literature and life, literature and the military, [and] literature and war."

Judy s.
cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx