[bksvol-discuss] Re: Why do you volunteer?

  • From: "Valerie Maples" <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 23:28:03 -0500

I have an insatiable desire to expand the opportunities for literacy for
children with print disabilities. Too often people consider it too much work
to even find out more tried to get children with severe physical handicaps
reading print. Instead, they offer all audio options, never even pursuing
the ability to read the printed word. Because my husband is a quadriplegic
and has two degrees in education, reading is very important to both of us.
Our daughter absolutely loves the opportunity to be in front of a book, good
or bad, and we want her to have more and more options for good books.
Eventually we hope that she will be able to be totally independent from the
selection process all the way to reading, but that will be somewhere down
the road. In the meantime, it is our goal to expand the choices she has in
selecting books to read for pleasure and education.

Take care!

Valerie

Please pray for Doug's Dad & visit his website:

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/billkoonce