[bksvol-discuss] Why books languish

  • From: "Tracy Carcione" <carcione@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 13:12:27 -0500

Hi Scott.
As I said, I often look at the older books on the checkout list, and I
have seen some commonalities.  Poetry and cookbooks often languish,
because they take considerable extra effort.  Nonfiction often languishes,
especially on esoteric topics.  People don't think the topic sounds
interesting, and hunt out something else.  I have occasionally taken a
nonfiction book that I wasn't very excited about, and found it very
interesting, once I started.
Also, I suspect that many people start with the most recent books on the
checkout list, since they come up first, and never progress to page 2,
much less 3 or 4.
Some books just get overlooked.  I haven't found many languishers with
serious quality issues, though.
I hope you don't just dump old books willy-nilly.  Are they actually
hurting anybody, sitting there?
Tracy