[bksvol-discuss] Which books count toward the grant?

Hi gang,

A volunteer asked which books qualify for the grant, so I thought maybe there
are others who don't know about this either. This is a quick email to the
group, so everyone knows which books count.

To explain this by what's excluded, all books qualify,
except romances, books that are adult content, and books that
proselytize religion. Factual books about religion are fine, since they
explain what it's about, but books that push agendas at you do not
qualify. It doesn't matter where the book comes from - volunteers,
outsourcers, publishers, or anywhere else.

To explain this by what's included,
all kiddie books (including teen romances) are okay, most non-fiction
is okay, "good" literature is okay, and finally, at long last, a
decision was made, and it was decided that genre fiction is okay. So
books that are mysteries, thrillers, Westerns, historical fiction,
science fiction, fantasies, and horror are okay too. But the minute you
add romance to any of the adult genre fiction books, the book doesn't count
towards the grant.

Of course, there will always be edge cases. We look at those books on a
case-by-case basis, and sometimes ask the Bookshare librarian for a decision.

I would encourage those people who are scanning and proofing romances to
continue to do so. We at the office can't put any in, since all of our time has
to go towards fulfilling the grant. But there are lots and lots of people who
like romance and want to see more of it in the collection. Please continue to
put romances in! The Bookshare publisher liaison mentioned that while most of
the book markets dropped when the economy dropped, the romance market is
continuing to climb. So there you are.

HTH, Carrie