[bksvol-discuss] Re: Where are those contrarians?

  • From: "Kenneth A. Cross" <crossk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 03:41:42 -0400

I just can't help repeating the point that stripping page numbers
invalidates the book for any serious researcher or teacher or leader of a
discussion among blind and sighted users.  What we end up with is a service
only for the casual reader. That does not mean we don't have a positive
resource, but it does limit its use, particularly in areas where employment
could result from a more controlled treatment.

I personally have submitted a large number of materials which could be used
in research.  They can't be, because one would have to procure a print book
and a sighted helper to use them.  To me, that is a great concern,
particularly because I, too, would like to use some of the materials on the
system and have the ability to refer to specific pages in discussions and
teaching.