[bksvol-discuss] Re: What to do with Validation Vultures

  • From: MissWings <misswings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,<bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 15:18:49 -0500

Hi Lisa.

I always make sure to read everything from cover to cover before I upload it. All of the books I have downloaded are going to expire and I won't be able to renew them, as I don't know for sure if I'll have access to a computer for the next couple of weeks. I'm leaving tomorrow to go to California to visit my mom and dad and to see my three-month-old nephew, whom I haven't gotten a chance to see since he was born. My dad is sick with fourth stage bladder cancer as well, which is another reason I'm going out there. I usually go for a couple of weeks at Christmas time, but we don't know how he'll be then and I wanted to see him before he got too bad. The last I heard it wasn't anything life-threatening, so he should still be around for a while, but I want to see him before things get worse for him. I'll have to let my books expire though and someone else will most likely get credit for them, but that's okay. I'm guilty of downloading way too many books at once, so I'm kind of glad they've limited the downloads for validators to five now! I think I've got something like twenty books downloaded, and since I take the time to read each one thoroughly to check for errors that I'm able to fix before uploading it, I've had some of them for a good while. I'm working on one right now that I'll hopefully be able to get finished and uploaded before tomorrow, since I've already started work on it, but if not I'll just have to start over when I get back I suppose. I'll be leaving tomorrow and coming back on the 12th of August.

MissWings

At 05:03 AM 7/27/2007, Lisa Belville wrote:

Good Friday all.

I hate to start off the day on a negative note, but I just discovered that two books which I had committed to validating have been validated and are awaiting administrator approval.

The frustrating thing is that I only missed renewing them by a few hours. That's right... They expired yesterday and someone has already snapped them up and validated them.. It's not like they languished on step 1 for months.

The books were
The Taken by Sarah Pinborough
Borderlands Thomas F. Monteleone.

Both books were clearly designated with "Hold for Lisa Belville" in their title.

I'd like to point out that downloading a book that has the "Hold For" designation in the title is a tad dishonest, not to mention being in very poor taste. Many of us are trying to earn credits toward our membership, so
while it may seem tempting to download a book with the "Hold For"
Designation, it's not exactly fair to those of us who are counting on
earning those credits.

If I am looking for something to download from step 1, I always look at the validation history. If the book was returned because the edit time expired, and the expiration date has occurred within the past week or two, I will look for something else to download. This gives the original person the chance to renew the book and earn their credit. This is just common courtesy, in my opinion.

I'm probably preaching to the choir as most of us who care enough to be on
these lists most likely wouldn't do this type of thing, but I feel like
something needs to be said since it's not the first time this has happened
to myself and others.

Sorry for the snarkiness, I've been up all night validating and I was
counting on uploading these books.

Lisa

Paper clip: The larval stage of coat hangers.

Lisa Belville
lisab12@xxxxxxxxxxx
y2kkong@xxxxxxxxx