[bksvol-discuss] Re: What is the main concern these days?

  • From: "Valerie Maples" <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 12:05:30 -0600

Hi, Tammy!

Is your Aunt Kay of the famous MSU lineage?  If so, I am pretty sure I know
her.  Quite the Egg Bowl on Saturday!

Sadly, I cannot get people to believe me how tough it is to get people
moving forward here.  There are some great people and incredible kindness,
but seriously low expectations and even lower self-confidence in the ability
to make change.

So, I make a difference one person at a time.  Nichole actually does better
than me; her push is getting people reading, getting them to the library,
getting them cards, and giving them books and reading in groups.  We started
with her aide, Sheina, who's reading fluency has SKYROCKETED and now she
reads books with her kids that we gave them.  We are now working on her
taking her kids to the library with her and Nichole, one at a time.  It is
slow, but we are making progress.

Take care!
Valerie

Currently scanning My Thirty Years Backstairs at the White House
Ally's Busy Day
A Turkey for Thanksgiving
Santa Claus The World's Number One Toy Expert
who do I talk to

Currently proofing:
Ten Days To Self-Esteem
Shanghaied to China
Everything Dog: What Kids Really Want To Know About Dogs
Stories Behind the Greatest Traditions of Christmas
More Stories Behind the Best Loved Songs Of Christmas