[bksvol-discuss] Re: Volunteers as Recruiters for New Bookshare Members?

Thanks Roger. Persuasive arguments. thanks for spelling them out for Marketing

Scott Rains
Benetech Fellow, Bookshare Volunteer Department
From: bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Roger Loran Bailey [rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 5:04 PM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Volunteers as Recruiters for New Bookshare
Members?

If this helps any I can tell you what I say at times. I am on some other
email lists with blind participants and occasionally Bookshare does come up.
One of the most frequent ways it comes up is a complaint that there is a
charge. I point out that it can be made free by volunteering and that they
would be surprised at how quickly the credits accumulate. I also point out
that if they are not accumulating fast enough that there just might be some
volunteers with more than enough credits who could be talked into donating
some. I understand the complaint because one of the things that kept me from
subscribing for a long time was the up front seventy-five dollars. Another
point that I make -- especially to BARD loyalists -- is that Bookkshare has
a lot more titles available and a lot of titles that BARD does not have and
never will have. I add to that that the NLS has such strict standards for
books that they will record that if one has an interest in any particular
area, especially an area that is not just popular entertainment, then
Bookshare will make any kind of book at all available and if it is not yet
available one can add it oneself. Frankly, BARD loyalists are not impressed
much by these points. Human read books trump everything for them and,
besides, it seems that they are only interested in popular -- might I
venture to use the word mindless -- entertainment anyway. Another point that
I make when comparing Bookshare to BARD is that the NLS does have some
prescribed channels for making requests, but I for one, have made requests
through those prescribed channels ever since I became blind back in 1988 and
have never seen any result at all. Some of the BARD loyalists think they are
having an effect, but they are only requesting bestsellers. It is similar to
a radio station that has a request line. The DJ has a play list that he is
not allowed to stray from. If people call up and request a song on that play
list then they get the illusion that the request is being honored. Those who
ask for something else are told that it will be right up and then they
listen for hours and never hear their request. So what it comes down to is
that when you request a song from a radio station or request a book be
recorded by the NLS you can count on your request showing up only if you
request something that is going to be played/recorded anyway. There are a
number of institutions that purport to have channels available to take
consumer input and it is hard to tell that they are even listening to that
input. On the other hand, there is an experience that I had with Bookshare
that showed it to be the most responsive to user input that I have ever
observed with any other institution. There was a point when Carrie asked us
if there were any holes in the Bookshare collection that needed to be
filled. There happened to be a very big hole that was right in the middle of
a subject area that I was especially interested in. There was absolutely no
Marxian literature, so I recommended it. Based on my experience with other
institutions that solicited patron input I did not expect my suggestion to
be acted on. In a surprisingly short period of time, however, a fairly large
pile of Marxian literature was added that had been worked on by the
outsourcers. Compared to what actually exists it is a small amount, but it
is a lot better than the nothing that was there before I mentioned it. That
is a big advantage to Bookshare as far as I am concerned.

"Freedom is always and exclusively freedom for the one who thinks
differently." - Rosa Luxemburg

The Militant:
 http://www.themilitant.com
Pathfinder Press: