From: bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Kathy Hester [kathyruthh@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 2:36 AM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Volunteers as Recruiters for New Bookshare
Members?

I explain Bookshare's large collection, the convenience of use, and have
given away free memberships to some people who were unsure about whether
they would like to join and were reluctant to put out the money to see.  I
also gave away two to two people who were already members but have limited
computer skills, and are undergoing temporary financial stress.  I declined
to give away any to two people who said they would just wait until Bookshare
totally dropped the charge, since there were other organizations serving the
blind and physically handicapped who didn't charge.  I try not to encourage
the "hand-out" mentality, and the two people I didn't give one to are
perfectly capable of volunteering to help defray their expense but were not
willing to try it.  I don't "hang out" on social network pages, for lack of
time mostly, but I know a lot of people who can benefit from Bookshare, and
I'm very often found telling them about it and giving away a "demo"
membership.  I usually keep my points whittled down to just enough to cover
my next membership, though I've got more than that right at the moment.

Kathy