[bksvol-discuss] Re: Very very happy

  • From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 01:08:52 -0600

Hi Evan!

I think that's a great idea about Googling a word that looks odd while proofing. I may try that sometime.

Debby

At 11:52 PM 11/17/2009, EVAN REESE wrote
One thing you can do when you find a word in a book and wonder whether it is legit is Google it. Either do a general web search, or use the "define:" feature and see if it turns up. (The "define:" feature isn't foolproof though. I looked up a legitimate word today and found no definition. But I did find references to it in the general search, though.) So doing a general search may be your best approach, especially if you think it might be a word that the author made up. If it turns up on web pages that refer to the book you are reading, then you will know that it is scanned correctly. If it isn't spelled correctly, you may get one of those "did you mean ...?" things from Google, which may give you the correct spelling you need. No guarantees on any of this, of course, but it's always worth a shot.

Evan