[bksvol-discuss] Re: Validators

  • From: Mike Pietruk <pietruk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 08:12:04 -0400 (EDT)

Tracy

I am sure that you have improved the quality of many books -- that was not
my point.
Rather, and I speak from observation, I am suggesting that it is possible
that a validator can hurt and not assist the quality of a book in some
instances.
There is more to a book than every word perfect.  There are things such as
pagination being messed up by a word processor perhaps not formatted to
handle the way the book is,
an overzealous individual stripping page numbers or protection thereof,
and all the rest.
Yes, the BookShare stripper is overzealous also, as is any automated tool;
but the truth is that we, as validators, too can cause problems
(unintentionally, of course)
as can other individuals in the whole process.
I am a validator too so, in my comments, I am criticizing myself as much
as anyone.
And as this is a continual learning process, I am merely suggesting that
we can learn from what happens to books and should occasionally study our
work, as it appears in the collection, to see if it comes
out in the form we expected.
Usually, all is fine; but there are the occasions when the end result is
more than disappointing.

My second point, Tracy, is that a lot of books need little or no work as
the submitter has gone through great pains in preparation.
Respect that, I say, and treat those as straightforward validations noting
any comments left as what may need to be done.
Many submitters too take great pride in their work and feel let down when
that
book they spent extra hours to get it just right has it run through a word
processing program that reformats every page so that the original benefits
are negated.

why, when I scan, should I spend many extra hours getting things "right"
(as I see it) if, in the end, it is for naught!
And I have had other submitters privately lament what has happened to
their work -- and it goes beyond the stripper -- as an apparent result of
something going amiss (possibly even unknown to the validator)
as part of the process.

If my work as a careful submitter means nothing, perhaps I should begin
submitting raw scans of books done in an hour rather than spending days
getting it ready!

I am criticizing no one in particular!  My msg is mainly directed at new
validators to be careful in what they are doing as they can possibly do
harm as well as much good -- and likely they will do more of the latter
and none of the former.
Also, if you feel offended as a validator, how do you believe submitters
who get sniped at on this list, if they learn of it directly or
indirectly, react.
They probably feel unappreciated too.

My comments are meant as general constructive ones much as and in the same
spirit as Elizabeth has recently offered hers.
She has given me plenty of food for thought, and that is what we all need
as we try to improve both the art of submitting or validating.

And if I haven't publicly already said this, Thanks, Elizabeth, for
addressing the issues have.  Most of the time I agree with you, sometimes
I don't; but I always appreciate your directness and candor and honesty
and know you don't offer them with negativity but in the hopeful spirit
that we can learn and improve.
And what I offer is in the same vein.

                Mike