[bksvol-discuss] Re: Validating the Validator

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 10:08:19 -0400

Not Cindy, but ...

That's a judgement call, and it primarily depends on how frequently words are missing. If it's occasional and it doesn't significantly detract from the flow, or understanding, of the book I wouldn't necessarily reject it on that basis, but I would probably at a minimum downgrade its rating from that shown by the automated rating tool. If the missing words are frequent I would probably reject it. Sometimes you can get a book where either the scanner didn't press it down firmly enough, or the words are printed too close to the gutter, so that a page or 2 words are missing or cut off on nearly every line. If it is just a page or 2 I'll quite often try to fix it, as I might consider it salvageable, and also dependent on how effective I think I can be, and just how tolerant I'm feeling. I might also just release it and suggest one of the sighted volunteers take a look at it. If the missing words are frequent enough to be annoying, it's toast.

Dave

At 09:02 AM 4/9/2007, you wrote:
Cindy, when you are validating a book that is missing
words in the book, and you can't get a physical book
to look and see what the missing words are, would the
proper step be to reject the book?

It would be difficult for bookshare volunteers who
aren't sighted to compare the scanned text to a
physical book unless they scanned the page in
question, and if they were going to do that, they
might as well just rescan the book, right?

Jamie in Michigan