[bksvol-discuss] Re: Validating Books

  • From: Mike Pietruk <pietruk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 18:50:31 -0400 (EDT)

Cindy

Right you are in that that sixth point is where the controversy begins.
Not only can folks not agree as to what is readable or not, but, if just
spot checking, one could accidentally stumble into parts of the book which
isn't truly representative of its quality.

While the guidelines are meant for validators, book submitters should
remember them also when preparing their submissions.
Due to the recent copyright questions on certain books, this is the first
element I look into prior to scanning anything whose primary intention is
that the book is going to BookShare.
If I cannot uncover that the book is definitely copyrighted, it is a waste
of effort to scan it.
I have also scanned books that I have decided just aren't good enough for
BookShare.
Just because I can read them doesn't make them good enough for BookShare.
It is the equivalent of whether my house is clean enough for me and my
wife or for company.