[bksvol-discuss] Re: Using Our Validation Resources Wisely

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 01:56:49 -0800 (PST)

Frankly, Monica, I don't trust the ratings, partly
because, in the past, a lot of submitters didn't rate
their books, or so it seemed, and Fair was the
automatic rating. I tended to take Fair books because
I was willing to fix them--that was before I "saw the
light," after E pointed out I was only encouraging the
uncaring person and allowing her to be rewarded for
her carelss work. Sometimes they were very good. On
the other hand, I've taken so-called Excellent and
Good books that I wanted to read and they were pretty
bad.

I do tend to take books that interest me except when
I'm requested to do certain books because they need
sight. I have thus found some books very interesting
that I otherwise wouldn't have read. Also, I've taken
books the titles of which led me to believe they would
interest me and they didn't, but once I started on
them I finished.

I worry now that some submitters will not rate their
books accurately on purpose, not by mistake. I'd much
rather see no rating at all when books are submitted
and let the validator give the rating after the
validation. I don't think it's wrong to take a book
that interests you rather than one that doesn't. There
are so many people here with different interests that
there's something for everyone. But if people take
books that interests them then hopefully they will
read it and validate it as they go, rather than just
checking pagination and doing a spell-check.

JMO smile

G.Cindy