[bksvol-discuss] Re: Using Our Validation Resources Wisely

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 03:38:22 -0500

Books no longer default to the fair rating! Wahoo! This really is a happy Thanksgiving! Lol.

Hmm. Cindy, I kind of see what you're saying because the user-defined ratings are subjective. Do you use a book's rating as part of your decision on which books you will work on? I know the ratings are subjective, and yet I do use the rating on a book to help me decide if I have time and the desire to work on it. Sometimes I know I have a couple of hours to offer to work on a book and want a book I can process fairly quickly. I like to be forewarned if I'm taking on a book with major issues so I can decide about how to work it into my schedule. I know other people here just take books that look interesting to them, regardless of the rating. I was one of those children who didn't enjoy doing things like grab bag gift exchanges, and I still don't like surprises. The other thing is that if no books were rated, I'd be more inclined to stick with taking books that truly interest me. As it is now, I'll take a romance or sci fi book rated excellent and will process it, even though I don't really find those genres interesting. Knowing that I might be stuck with a book I don't like that is also in fair shape doesn't sound like much fun to me, and I'd have to talk myself into trying it. Knowing myself pretty well, I'd start hunting for books by certain submitters for times when I only have a couple of hours for validating work so I could feel more sure about what I'm signing on for. At that point, I'd be doing my own internal rating system. Maybe these aren't bad things. (smile) Maybe I need to get used to the idea before I can mentally explore it.

Monica Willyard

Grandma Cindy wrote:
oh, that's good to know. Will the book not be accepted
and go on the download list automatically unless a
rating is given, or will it be put without any rating?
I do see a possible problem, though--that submitters
might not rate their submissions accurately. I'd
rather that there be no ratings given on the download
list and that validators be required to rate the books
after validation and an Error show up if they don't
and the book not be accepted until they do.

G.Cindy