[bksvol-discuss] Re: Using Library Catalog System

  • From: Monica Willyard <plumlipstick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 18:20:17 -0400

Shelley, you may be right about mania playing a part in the creative genius of several great artists and politicians. I'm a decade older than you, and I took Lithium for five years before other options were available. I can't honestly say it was nasty stuff since it helped me feel much better. As you may have read, bipolar depression occurs in varying degrees of intensity. During Poe's lifetime, most people with a psychiatric illness either died too young from self-injury or were confined to hospitals that were little more than warehouses. Poe died fairly young, and that is why I think he needed Lithium. He was the subject of a term paper I wrote in college. His letters and writings seem to be those of a very disturbed man with a bleak view of his future. Reading about his life has made me feel sad... both for him as a person and for those who so enjoyed his work.

Monica Willyard

On Sunday 9/24/2006 05:30 PM, you wrote:
Lithium is some truly nasty stuff, and there are much better things on the
market now, thank goodness.

Though by today's standards Poe, Winston Churchill and Abraham Lincoln would
all be classed as Bipolar psychiatric disabilities.

Which I wonder, would they have been so great if their manic sides were
toned down?

Course coming from some who has studied it.  A lot of our great artists and
politicians had undisclosed mental disabilities.

Shelley L. Rhodes B.S. Ed, CTVI
and Judson, guiding golden
juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.