[bksvol-discuss] Re: Using Library Catalog System

  • From: Monica Willyard <plumlipstick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 17:04:38 -0400

Hi, Amy. It's great to have a teacher on this list. (smile) I have to confess that I haven't enjoyed Poe's work. It gives me the creeps, and I guess I'd have classified it as horror fiction instead of mystery fiction. The House of Usher gave me the creeps in triplicate, nothing like the Rex Stout, Ellery Queen, or Agatha Christie books I've come to love. I see your logic and can agree with it at the intellectual level. At the heart level, I just sort of feel... revulsion and wish I could argue the point. To me, Poe was a deeply disturbed man who probably needed Lithium.

Monica Willyard

At Sunday 9/24/2006 03:46 PM, you wrote:
Sorry folks but the honor of inventing both the first true mystery (story and poem) and detective story go to Edgar Allen Poe. While the British like to claim to be the originators of almost all types of literature and certainly have perfected some, they neither created nor perfected these two but they were the precursors of some. The first detective story was his "The Murders in the Rue Morgue" with August Dupon.