[bksvol-discuss] Using Library Catalog System

  • From: Monica Willyard <plumlipstick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 00:29:44 -0400

I feel incredibly stupid for not know the answer to this. Since fiction books in a library don't use the Dewy decimal system, is there a way to still locate books by subject? I'm asking because I can use my library's card catalog over the internet, and I thought I'd try to see what mysteries my branch has. When my mom gives me a ride to the library, I have to know exactly what I want since she doesn't like to browse for things. I write down the call numbers and ask a librarian to help me find the books I want to check out that day. It's easy to look up a specific author, but now I just want to see what's there. I might find something interesting worth adding to our collection. So can any of you tell me how fiction books are categorized in a card catalog? Thanks.

Monica Willyard