[bksvol-discuss] Re: User cannot download NIMAC sourced book

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 08:21:42 -0500

Hi all,

Jim, I do hope that Bookshare continues to advocate for adults who are blind and need access to the NIMAC content. Not only do blind parents of sighted children need access, but teachers who are blind also need access. It would seem to me to be only logical to allow blind parents of sighted children to access their text books. On the Educator's side of things, this might be considered to be against the ADA because if a teacher who is blind cannot access the material for his or her job, then he or she cannot do that job effectively. This is denying access and is also a denial of reasonable accommodation in the job place. If the books already exist in NIMAC format, then denial of access is a real problem. <smiling> Before you ask, no, I do not have the actual references from the ADA, but I could probably get them somehow. In addition, the prohibition against releasing teachers' editions to registered teachers who are blind and who are working in a school seems restrictive. Again, teachers need this material in order to teach effectively. If they cannot get it, then they cannot teach effectively. <smiling> This would affect a school's rating under the No Child Left Behind Act. The school can't dismiss a teacher easily, so giving a teacher who is blind access to teachers' editions makes sense.

Just my thoughts for a Saturday morning. they probably won't affect change, but I set them down here anyway.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring