[bksvol-discuss] Re: Uploaded Christian Romance for approval

  • From: Julie & Miss Mercy <mercy421@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 15:30:46 -0500

Hi, Judy. I for one appreciate the time those of you put into fixing those fair scans. I've downloaded some of them from the collection, and when I can, hope to replace them with better scans. Validating is not my thing, since I have to do it with my screen reader, and with my hearing impairment, that's difficult for me, so I definitely appreciate those who can do it and take the time to make them as good as they can be. Thanks to you and everyone else who has done that. take care.

--
Julie Morales
I sell Avon, All Mixed Up gourmet mixes and candles and other scents from Scentsational Delights. Ask me for more specific information if you're interested!

Judy s. wrote:
I decided to dive into one of the remaining 'fair' books that's been on the "waiting to validate" list since early September, and see if it was fixable or should be rejected. I chose "Thunder Bay," by Beth Loughner.

To my surprise, I found a pattern in the scanno errors and was able to do a search/replace to eliminate most of them automatically, leaving just a handful to correct by hand. The scan was also full of garbage headers which were easy to strip, and then had two pages of garbled text that had been placed at the beginning of the book which turned out to actually be scannos of pages that appear correctly later in the book. That meant I could just delete them. Did a spell check and then read through it for other errors in content.

The final result: 99.94% accuracy.  I'm grinning.

The style and contents were definitely not my cup of tea, but it should now be a nice scan for those who enjoy Christian romance. smile.

Judy s.
cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx