[bksvol-discuss] Re: Updated list of Fair-rated books

  • From: "EVAN REESE" <mentat3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 04:38:17 -0500

It's true that you would only have one person, the validator, instead of two, the scanner and validator. But if the book is of really low quality, it would almost certainly be faster, and easier for the validator, if the book were to be rescanned, particularly if it is rescanned by someone who knows how to use their equipment and software to get the best quality scan. Then the validator would have a much cleaner copy to start with. The rescanning would add time, but I would bet that it would be more than made up for by less cleanup work by the validator.

Evan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Cindy Rosenthal" <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
From: Cindy Reece <cindyreece524@xxxxxxxx>
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, volunteer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Monday, November 24, 2008, 7:50 PM
I have a question...probably for Carrie, but I don't
have her direct email address.

Can Bookshare take the fair books, convert them into rtf
files and post them as step 1. It sounds like the complaint
is about scanning errors that could be fixed by a validator.

This could at least save some work because the book would
not have to be scanned again. Maybe they do need a complete
rescan. I don't know. I don't have access to
Bookshare files.

Just a question.

The Other Cindy (creece)> Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008
18:59:25 -0800> From: popularplace@xxxxxxxxx> Subject:
[bksvol-discuss] Updated list of Fair-rated books> To:
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> > I've started
compiling an edited list of English-language Fair-quality
books in the collection. It includes only the title and
synopsis of the books. I can make a list of
Spanish-language, too, if anyone wants.> > I have the
first hundred books ready if anyone wants them. It only
takes me a few minutes so I'll probably add a hundred or
two every day this week.> > Cindy> > WISH LIST
(CALLED REQUESTED ADDITIONS TO THE BOOKSHARE COLLECTION)IS
AVAILABLE AT >
http://www.friendsofbookshare.org/wish_list/wish_list.htm>
www.lljfm.net/bookshare/home.htm> > A LIST OF BOOKS
CURRENTLY BEING SCANNED IS AVAILABLE AT >
http://www.friendsofbookshare.org/>
www.lljfm.net/bookshare/home.htm> > > > To
unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to>
bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> put the word
'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line. To get
a list of available commands, put the word 'help' by
itself in the subject line.>