[bksvol-discuss] Re: Typo or scano?

  • From: Mike <mlsestak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 20:04:28 -0700

That's a tough question, you cannot be certain without sight or something that allows you to feel the shape of each character (along with any smudges, marks or blemishes around it). If you know about letter shapes and which letters are similar in shape to others, you can make some pretty good guesses as to scannos vs typos. Scannos will generally be errors where one or more letters that are similar in shape are substituted for other letters with the same shape. The obvious ones are i, l, and 1 which are all mostly a straight line. Typos will mostly be words similar in sound, but having a different meaning with no particular similarity in shape. For example, in your case, it would only take a slight smudge to make the R in YORK to look like a B to the OCR software. On the other hand, the M in BOMS doesn't really look like OK, but BOMS doesn't sound a whole lot like BOOKS, either. But, so obvious a typo on the title page would surely have been noticed before the book was printed.

Misha

On 7/18/2010 9:13 PM, Andy B. wrote:
How would you know if its a typo on the books part?