[bksvol-discuss] Two books submitted

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 17:05:00 -0400

Two of the Orphan Train Adventures submitted.

This brings the total up to six with one to go.  Fewwwwwwwwwww.

A Dangerous Promise
By Joan Lowery Nixon

Needs a spell check.

Mike, wants to join the Union Army as a musician, but... will he be able to
keep his promise to his dead friend?

and

Keeping Secrets
By Joan Lowery Nixon

Needs a Spell check. 183 pages.

The soldier quickly glanced inside the buggy. "You haven't got traveling
bags with you, so I take it you don't plan to stay long."
"That's right. Just today."
"I'd caution you not to return after dark. There's no telling who you might
run into on these back roads."
From the corner of her eye Peg shot a quick glance at the soldier with the
beard, who was still looking at the reticule. Union Army or not, I'd hate to
run into this one anywhere! Peg thought.
"You may proceed," the sergeant said.
Miss Hennessey smiled again, picked up the reins, and clucked to the horse.
The soldiers rode past them with a great clatter, stirring up clouds of dust
that caused Peg to cough.
The moment they were out of hearing Peg asked, "Why did you say that I was
your daughter?"
"Not now." Miss Hennessey's voice was low and quick.
"What do you mean, not now? I-"
"Hush!"
To Peg's amazement Miss Hennessey pulled a small handgun from her reticule
and tucked it on the seat under her skirt. In a low voice she said,
"Whatever may happen next, don't be afraid."

It's the autumn of 1863, and as the Civil War rages, a
stranger named Violet Hennessey seeks refuge with the
Kelly family. Eleven-year-old Peg Kelly is thrilled because
Violet treats her like a young woman, not a child. On the
run from Confederate raiders, Violet has information that
may save the Union. But she can't deliver her message
unless she undertakes a dangerous journey, and she needs
Peg's help. Peg and her brother Danny are determined to
be courageous for the sake of the Union, but what price
will they pay for their heroism?

"The tension and danger are palpable... readers won't be
able to put this one down, as the suspense builds steadily
to a dramatic but startling conclusion that may require a
hanky or two."-Booklist

juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Advisory Council