[bksvol-discuss] Re: Trying to validate a book

  • From: Mayrie ReNae <mrenae@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 19:06:52 -0700

Hi Mary Anne,

If your book has page numbers after page 9, you can just insert them before that, assuming that all of the text appears to be present before the first page with a number. Very often single digit page numbers just don't show up in scans. For some reason, OCR programs can't understand what they are.

As for your chapter headings, you can sometimes tell where they go, if the submitter didn't remove headers. If headers are still present in the book, you can pretty much count on that pages without them have chapter headings at the top. Sorry, I can't fix it for you if your book has chapters that sometimes begin in the middles of pages. My little trick only works with books whose chapters all begin at the tops of pages. And if your chapters had titles as well as numbers, the submitter, or someone with a copy of the book will have to tell you what those titles are.

But if your book has chapters that all begin at the tops of pages and the submitter left headers in the book, you can easily tell where to put the chapter headings, assuming they are just numbers, and not titles.

Sorry, that all wasn't terribly eloquent. If I need to clarify, please, do tell me, and I will.

Peace,
Mayrie

At 06:46 PM 5/15/2008, you wrote:
Hi folks.  I hate to be a pain about this but I'm having trouble with page
numbers in another book I am validating.

It is

HOLIDAY MIRACLES
A CHRISTMAS / HANUKKAH STORY
ELLYN BACHE

The text of the actual book appears to start on page 11 and page 10 is a
blank page.
That is OK but no numbered pages 1 through 9.
Also can't tell where the chapters begin except for a few chapters which are
numbered, but only about 2 of them.
No table of contents either.

Can someone help?  Otherwise a beautiful scan but the pages are missing.

Thanks.

--
Mary Anne Lynskey