[bksvol-discuss] Re: Transit of Venus uploaded to admin queue

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 07:56:29 -0400

I think I validated other books by this guy. He writes interesting things and you are correct about learning new vocabulary and a chance to be part of somebody's quirky life. Rather cool.

Congratulations on taking on the project. Interesting book in strange shape with things missing as I recall.
I wanted to read it in its fixed up form so thanks since now I can.

E.

At 02:34 AM 9/8/2006, you wrote:
More than a travel memoir, Transit of Venus is an
interesting and readable history of the South Seas
nations, written with humor.
   Toward the end of the book, the author visits the
Marshall Islands and Bikini atoll and describes the
messy and unsanitary conditions the natives live
under, having been moved from their homes by the
American military. Of course, the book was written in
1992. Hopefully our government has improved the living
conditions since then.

After reading this book, I've lost all desire ever to
go to the South Pacific. New Caledonia, Fiji,Vanuau,
etc. don't sound the least bit beautiful or romantic,
although when you see the tourist-beckoning sites
online the beaches, etc. look beautiful. Maybe the
islands' towns and beaches have been cleaned up and
there are more things to do than the author found.

If you're anything like me, your vocabulary will
increase by reading this book. There were a lot of
words I didn't know, some deriving from a history I
didn't know enough about, some being English or
Australian words.  Fortunately, it's quick and easy to
look them up in google while reading the book. smile I
love volunteering for bookshare--I have learned so
much from different books, and about the existence and
genre and quality of different authors, and about the
various capabilities of Word.--and I thought I was
well-educated before. smile

This was a good scan except for the end-of-line breaks
(and missing 15 pages in the middle, by which time it
was too late to reject. smile)  I don't know who
scanned it and I don't know if anything can be done
about that except to pre-validate and get rid of them.
I know my scans used to have the same thing, but I
always pre-validated before submitting.  I think it
may be the OCR. Now, because I have Fine Reader 5, I'm
not getting those end-of-line breaks.