[bksvol-discuss] To Julia About Files And Scanning

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bookshare Volunteers <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 02:31:25 -0400

Hi, Julia. I know this won't help you with your Joy Fielding book. I thought I'd mention it for the future though in case you want to try it. When I do a scan, I save it in Openbook or Kurzweil in its native format. I read the book and do some editing on obvious errors. I save the file and then I save to rtf. The reason I do this is that I have the original file to refer to if anything goes wrong with the conversion to rtf. I keep my original ark or kes file until my book is accepted on Bookshare. Then I delete that file and just download the book from Bookshare since a validater has edited it and made it more readable. It's also smaller than the ark or kes file, so it takes up less hard drive space and works on a device like a Book Port or notetaker. I hope this helps you.

Monica Willyard