[bksvol-discuss] Re: Thoughts On Older Books On Step 1

I don't feel that it is necessary to validate every book just because it is on the list. I have the feeling that a lot of these textbooks may be changed every year; this and the fact that they are difficult to find make me unwilling to tackle them. I would rather see books on the list for over a year simply removed and held in a special list as are books needing a rescan just in case someone decides to validate them, but this way the list would be kept shorter. If I saw a textbook on the wish list, that would be a different matter, but I much prefer validating a book when I have a copy of it to refer to. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>

To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 3:36 PM
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Thoughts On Older Books On Step 1

Elizabeth's messages about the older books on step 1 got me to look at the step 1 page this evening to see what I could do to help out. Looking at the titles has got me wondering about something. Many of these books are either textbooks, essays, or other heavy nonfiction titles. I think most of us avoid working on books like this. I'm trying to find a solution to this problem. Do you think it might work to give validaters some sort of double credit for working on books that are over a year old? Or for textbooks since that's what many of these titles are? As I looked at the oldest books, my reaction was a groan because validating them would be tedious and boring to me. While some of our members do enjoy that type of material, I don't think I'm alone in my feelings. Would receiving double credit be an incentive for you personally? I'd like to know what you all think of my idea because I will suggest it to John if it has merrit. Does anyone have other ideas for encouraging people to process our more scholarly titles?

"Don't let yesterday use up too much of today!" Will Rogers
Monica Willyard, rhyami@xxxxxxxxx
Add rhyami to your Skype if you'd like to chat.