[bksvol-discuss] Re: Thoughts About Quality Ratings

  • From: "Kaitlyn" <kaitlyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 19:00:41 -0700

HI Monica,

You said, I think that if Bookshare wants better quality control, it will
need to be very clear on what is acceptable.  I think Bookshare will also
need to provide their tool during the submission process to rate the quality
for the submitter and possibly make arrangements for submitters to purchase
proper tools at a group discount rate so that everyone can submit perfect
scans.  Until then, you will continue to see scans with the wrong rating and
lots of poorly scanned books entering the collection, especially from people
who aren't on the volunteers list.

When you upload a book after validating you do get a rank spelling kicked
back from the system along with an adult content number.

The last book you did of mine I did read through so in the spirit of things
it was validated. I have validated a couple of my books but in general I
submit them and let another member do the validating.

It is true that there are some differences in K1000 and OpenBook and also
between Finereader and Scansoft. There is also differences in skill levels
of the end users. At this time I know when you purchase Kurzweil you get a
$25 discount when you join bookshare. I am not sure how much the
manufacturers of Kurzweil and Openbook would be to giving discounts since
both are adaptive and a limited market compared to Finereader and Scansoft.
Maybe something could be worked out with the later two since these are mass
marketed programs and might be in a better position to discount the
software.

One other approach might be is to start working toward state agencies to
include scanning software with systems that are purchased for clients. IT
still comes down to funding where at the low end scanning software starts at
about $500 to $1,000.

I would like to see some stronger guidelines on the ratings. I was real
unsure when I first started as a volunteer here on how to rate a book. I was
a volunteer for about six months before earning enough credits for a
membership so didn't have an idea of ratings until I was able to download
some books from the general library and see.

OH, And, Happy Mother's Day to all the wonderful mothers out there:)

Katie Hill
Kaitlyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

        You, who are thirsty, come hither: if, by chance, the fountain
fails,

        The goddess has, by degrees, prepared the everlasting waters.

translation by fulcanelli of an inscription on the

statue of maitre plerre, which stood on the parvis of

Notre-Dame-de-Paris until its removal in 1748