[bksvol-discuss] Re: The hold discussion

  • From: "Doug Maples" <wdmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 12:27:23 -0600

As someone who is physically unable to scan books, I rely on other people to
put books out there for me to proof. It is quite often that I find someone
(or someone finds me) that is doing a book that know I would like to proof.
The last thing I want to see happen is the book I have been waiting for gets
"poached" or picked up by someone else because they are interested in
reading it, too. I know that there have been times when I have been looking
for something I wanted to proof, but nothing really fit what I like. Usually
it is pretty simple to put your request out on the list that you are looking
for something in a certain genre. I have never had a problem waiting long at
all for someone to put one out there with a hold for me as a result.

Yes, I have seen a lot of books on hold for someone else that I would not
mind proofing, but that is not what this is all about. If I see something I
really like and want to read, I'll just wait until it is submitted and
processed so I can check it out and read it. I would never dream of picking
up someone else's hold. We also have to remember that there are a lot of
people who are scanning on request of other people. It is no one's place to
interfere with that process.

A little over a week ago I had nothing to proof, so I began looking back
through the pages of books out there and found a really good one that I have
been working on. They may not be there exactly when you want them, but there
will always be something that needs our help as proofreaders.

-- Doug