[bksvol-discuss] Re: The Lost Symbol is in!

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 14:10:08 -0500

Hey Roger, you actually did come across to me too in your musings as sounding as if people who read best sellers are shallow, when I first read your post. I think what you were saying, though, on re-reading your email, is that if someone reads a book just because (and only because) everyone else is reading it, that does feel like they are shallow to you.

What I think what everyone else has said is that they are reading this book because they want to read it, and not just because everyone else is reading it. It piques their interest, and it's a huge plus to be able to concurrently talk about it with friends who are also reading it instead of not having that option available in the past as it used to take months or years to have an accessible version of a book (any book) available after print publication.

For what it's worth, that's my interpretation of this thread! grin.

Judy s.

Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx wrote:
I have not called anyone shallow. I merely expressed my perplexity about something and when it was replied to I discussed it.

"The end may justify the means as long as there is something that justifies the end. " Leon Trotsky The Militant: http://www.themilitant.com <http://wwww.themilitant.com>Pathfinder Press: http://www.pathfinderpress.com
             _

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj: [bksvol-discuss] Re: The Lost Symbol is in! Date: 9/17/2009 2:24:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time From: deniset@xxxxxxx Reply-to: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent from the Internet (Details) table end

Roger

I think we got it. You've now told us in two messages we're shallow if we look forward to reading a new book and discussing it with friends. Guess I'm pretty shallow. Actually I consider it a choice like other things in life. It's also a good social tool to be able to discuss books friends and family may be reading. I'm glad to be part of the "shallows" in this case. Nothing like kicking back and listening to the latest book of an author especially on a rainy afternoon like today is in my part of the country. Sorry, shallow or not, I'm off to start Lost Symbol...

Denise
At 01:08 PM 9/17/2009, you wrote:

block quote
Frankly, I don't see the big deal about getting to read a book immediately on publication. There are so many books out there that have been published for a long time that I have never gotten around to that I can easily wait. I have not actually read a Dan Brown book yet, but there are certain reasons that I think I would likely be interested in them, so I hope to eventually get around to it. But right now, immediately, I can't wait? No, I am too busy reading something else that is also very interesting. I also have no sense of urgency about getting around to reading any of the other best sellers. Somehow reading a book because just everybody is reading it seems to me to be a rather shallow reason for reading a book.

"The end may justify the means as long as there is something that justifies the end. " Leon Trotsky
             The Militant:
http://www.themilitant.com
Pathfinder Press:
http://www.pathfinderpress.com
Granma International:
http://granma.cu/ingles/index.html
             _

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bksvol-discuss] Re: The Lost Symbol is in! Date: 9/17/2009 12:53:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time From: rixmix2009@xxxxxxxxx Reply-to: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

Let me also chime in. Even though we have been saying oh let's keep our discussion to solving problems with scanning and proofing, etc.

Carrie, you, my friend, really, really tickled our little book loving strings this morning.

Thank you, thank you!

How cool is that, that we get to read this book so quickly?!!?

Indeed, as someone said earlier, "When Carrie says she'll get something done, it's a done deal!"

No fooling!

Maybe you should be in the Senate Finance Committee and get the health care reform deal done? [chuckle]

Thanks again, Carrie.

You know, as I think on it I think The Da Vinci Code was among if not The first book I downloaded and read from the Bookshare collection.

I do remember I did not have all my technology ducks in a row and I got into reading with the the basic book wizard software and it had such a strange
voice
and strange navigation. But I got so hooked on the book, and not wanting to lose my place, that I kind of stayed up real real late in the reading of it.

This time, it's SWOOSH!!! into my Book Port and I'm heading right off to begin reading. I'll have to just take a bit of a break and return to my volunteer duties later. [grinning]

I recall just reading a pretty good interview with Brown, and a review. Wow. So cool!

Rik