[bksvol-discuss] Re: The Last Summer of You and Me Ann Brashares

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 15:37:53 -0700 (PDT)

But I agree that a warning in the long synopsis about
explicit sex scenes, as well as profanity or
obscenities is desirable, because a lot of adults
don't want to read  books with that in them, and a lot
of parents don't want their children to read them,
either.

I think it's hard to draw the line to determine what
would be in an adult bookstore and what would not.
Indeed, the automatic rater has rated some children's
books Adult, and I haven't figured out what words
triggered that. It's a hard decision to make, but if
there is explicit sex described in vulgar terms I rate
the book Adult--or if there is a lot of it. If there
is some but not much, or if the sex is described
euphemistically, I put the warning in the long
synopsis.

Cindy